2 Corinthians 14Posted: October 13, 2009 Filed under: David's Daily Devotions, Inspiration, Thinking about Ministry Leave a comment
This is the Morning NT Lectionary Reading for October 13 2009
Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy ….
What is the “way of love”? To understand that we must go back to the previous chapter – the great love chapter of the Bible – and especially to note the characteristics of love:
- Patient, kind, without envy of others or boasting of oneself
- Not proud, nor rude – why do these two go together?
- Not self-seeking – the answer to the above question!
- Not prone to anger and keeps no record of wrongs
- Does not delight in evil but rejoices in the Truth
- Love always protects, trusts, hopes and perseveres.
Here is the challenge – to follow this way of love in the everyday of our life …
BUT, why eagerly desire the gift of prophecy? And what is this gift anyway?
Second question first … The gift of prophecy
- speaks to men for their strengthening – for their encouragement and comfort (verse 3)
- edifies the church – from the old meaning of “edify” – to build up (verse 4)
- speaks intelligible words, so tha the people will grasp the meaning of what is said. (verse 9)
And so why must we eagerly desire this gift … BECAUSE IT IS A GIFT WHICH BUILDS UP THE CHURCH!